Hi I am Sanket Basu ( cat – general got AIR-79 in GATE 2017) . I am 2016 passout from a private college Heritage Institute of Technology , Kolkata , West Bengal.
Before starting I want to state that I gave GATE last year sincerely studying for 5 -6 months approximately. I was a GATEFORUM class program student. Last year I did all the subjects but left Machine and Power Electronics due to late start in preparation.
I mainly followed class notes and RK Kanodia for GATE 2016. I landed up with a rank of 2202 / 49.98 / 633 Gate score. I knew with this rank no PSU / top IIT and NIT will accept me. I was totally shattered and lost trust in myself as I was one of class toppers in my college with cgpa of 9.16. But I soon understood that fault was mine I was underprepared and my level was nothing as compared to Gate Toppers and off course my Btech cgpa will not fetch me an All India Rank. So I soon buckled up and my parents helped a lot in this. Please talk to someone when you are in trouble regarding GATE remaining silent wont help. I started my preparation for Gate 2017( full self study) from month of June , 2016 after my final semester and final year project workload was over. Some of the tips i want to give you.
- First of all please make a routine and frame a chart in your mind the subjects you want to do in what sequence. Be sincere to that routine. Don’t waste your time always target to complete the subjects 2 days before your proposed routine. This was you will end up having a lot of extra time after your preparation is over.
- Start with a subject that you are strong with. One subject at night and one subject at morning. Be a early riser or late night warrior. Please don’t try to be the both. I started with Control System and Digital Electronics. After this pair I took Circuit Theory and Measurement. Then Signal System and Field Theory. Choice of pair is fully on your own but be wise so that you don’t stress out. For heavy 3 subjects Power System , Power Electronics and Machine I didn’t pair up them with other subjects I devoted the whole day behind them for the respective subject during respective routine time I already prefixed.
- Most important part of GATE success is countless revision. But it wont be possible for a person to again turn over all the pages of book and notes for countless time during revision ultimately you will get bored. So I used to maintain a note pad for each subject when I was preparing them for first time. I made short notes of important concepts , all the formulas , short sums, important page number of theory, important sums in those note pad chapter wise for each subject. During such short notes done try to be short or too lengthy . Make a optimum choice of how much to write and more importantly upto how much you feel comfortable. As you are completing each subjects take the note pad of previous subjects and go through it again and again. This way you will have an effective revision.
- This part may seem funny but its effective. There are always some part of each subject that you always forget after every revision. Medicine to that take an A-4 sheet write down those things and paste it on the wall of your room. Every morning take a glance at them. Believe my words you will start remembering those things also. For example I did all the formulas of Numerical Methods in Math, Divergence Curl Gradient formulas of each system of Filed theory etc.
- Try to complete this whole course within Mid October-Mid November. Don’t spend too many days on each subject. Devote more time to core subjects + control+ circuit+ math+ signal. Carry one revising those note pads you made and do it in proper sequence so that you are in touch with all the subjects.
- After you complete each subject do the GATE past year questions thoroughly. I always invested a 1 day time to each subject after I completed them for the past year questions and Mark the important questions that you want to revisit and note it down in the scribble pad.
I was a ex GATE FORUM student so I got discount on test series so I took it + MADE EASY. But don’t follow me take ACE ACADEMY+ MADE EASY for your test series package. Two test series is enough. Don’t overload yourself with 3 to 4 Test series
How to use them?
- During your first stage of completion of each subject after practising last year questions. Take any one of the test series and go for the respective subject tests (remember either any one of the test series you took). The new concepts you will get from those tests note it down in the pad separately and focus on the areas you will feel weak after giving tests.
- After your journey of first stage of preparation of all the subjects over and consecutive revisions done from notes pad by the Mid November. Its time for Full MOCK tests ( ultimate preparation step). You will have around 24 -26 FLT including both test series. Start giving them slowly from Nov MID. Please don’t give on consecutive days two mock tests it will stress you. Leave a 3 day gap between each mock tests of full length.
- During these three days gap do again revision of your subjects + REMEMBER the subject test of one of the test series still remaining. Give those remaining subject tests on those 3 days gap it will enhance your skill more and more of all your revision will be perfect.
- Complete this sequence of Subject test and FLT within January. You wont be able to complete all FLT since you are giving 3 days gap. So from then go for only remaining FLT giving one day or two days gap since now you are habituated to FLT you wont stress out. During those gaps again do revision daily. Please don’t be satisfied with your revision because each time after revision you will still forget something. Complete all FLTs 3-4 days before GATE EXAM. And relax for last 2 days.
Circuit Theory – Alexander Sadiku + RK Kanodia
Control System – Don’t go for detailed theory , learn the skills and basics properly R K Kanodia + Nagrath Gopal( for theory)
Digital Electronics – Morris Mano + RK Kanodia + Standard Material for Microprocessor ( MADE EASY good)
Measurement – R K Kanodia + A K SAHANEY examples only
Analog – Detailed theory not required for EE R K Kanodia
Math – MADE easy class notes + ALL department 25 years
Field Theory – Any standard study material + Examples form Sadiku
Signal and System – Any standard study material ( Made Easy good) + Oppenheim / Ramesh Babu/ Rawat solved examples + R K Kandoia
** Machines- PS BIMRAH solved examples must + PS BIMRAH 2nd vol for Single Phase Induction Motor + R K Kanodia ( very basics sums given you may or may not)
** Power Electronics- PS BIMRAH + H. RASHID
** Power System – Sir Nagrath Kothari ( SUMS + Theory) + CL WADHA (TEXT) + Asfaq Hussain solved examples
To download pdf of respective book, Click here
Along with this MADE EASY CLASS NOTES / ACE NOTES will be ultimate for you. Please concentrate on ACCURACY + SPEED for godsake these two will decide your rank at the end of day. I also suffered from these two. Don’t Panic if you get low score in MOCK tests. I started with a marks of 50 but try to improve it slowly and steadily and it will. During January FLTs try to score 67 ++ – 70++ . Don’t worry each time you will do pathetic silly mistakes. But more mistakes you do in FLT more cautious you will become. Please do sincerely these FLTs and from January onwards after you get your admit card try to give the FLTs during your GATE exam time only( I gave from 2pm-5pm).
Contribution of Learn Gate Free group- Marks my words no advertisement done from my side I am being Honest .This group was created by Sohail Ansari Sir. Someone form somewhere added me in this group. At first I thought why to waste time in some FB group. But this group boosted my preparation two to three times more. I used to visit this group daily 2 -3 hours collected as many questions I got from these group and stored in my Desktop Folder for each subjects separately so that I can see them later. This helped in increase my knowledge and to tackle variety of sums. I made some excellent friends discussed with them learned a lot from them. Didn’t know them personally someone was from Gujrat someone from Bihar someone from South India and they were an priceless part of my success.
All the best be sincere to your dream , be ambitious but don’t bury yourself beneath it.
Sanket Basu AIR 79 / 67.05(normalized by -2.66 Set 2) / 874 ( I did some pathetic mistakes in hurry during exam , try to avoid it )